Sustainability and the Environment
It is a Government set target for all public buildings to achieve net zero carbon.
What we have done:
- Changed refuse collection company resulting in a 50% reduction in general waste to landfill
- All our skip waste is recycled
- Purchased a drum that turns our old bricklaying mortar back in to sand, so it can be reused in the construction department
- Upcycle and sell furniture
- The children are responsible for taking the recycled waste to the external bins, so they learn what can and cannot be recycled and see where their waste goes
- Hold termly meetings with staff to promote and plan sustainability in all areas
What we are doing:
- Mixed dry recycling
- Promoting recycling
- Covering sustainability topics in Humanities, Science and assemblies
- Using reusable ring binders instead of books to cut down on glue sticks and wastage
- Moving towards paperless offices – the IT department have achieved this goal already!
- Banning the laminator!
- Planning to recycle all food waste
- Arrange trips to recycling centres
- Celebrate and promote recycling week each year
- Display children’s posters as reminders to adults
- Completing a lighting review to replace all our old high energy use lights with energy efficient fittings
- Investing in expert advice to reduce our energy consumption and use sustainable energy sources