Motor Vehicle Maintenance is taught in our purpose-built Motor Vehicle garage. In KS4 you will have the opportunity to follow the ABC Level 1 Certificate in Motor Vehicle Studies. This course consists of a compulsory unit on Health and Safety, plus practical modules that focus on specific automotive areas such as Wheels and Tyres, Exhausts, Steering and Suspension, Braking Systems and Spark Ignition Power Units. All units are taught by qualified and experienced Motor Vehicle tutors.
The motor vehicle course provides opportunities for pupils to develop a range of practical skills, allowing them to gain an insight into the workings of modern motor vehicles and garages. Safety in the workshop is paramount, and all pupils are taught how to operate machinery safely and sensibly under supervision, as well as learning how to handle tools and equipment correctly.
During the 2-year course, pupils will have the opportunity to practice the following skills:
- Performing basic vehicle checks (tyres, fluid levels etc.)
- Valeting and customers care
- Jacking up a vehicle using a trolley jack
- Hoisting vehicles safely using the 2-post ramp
- Removing and replacing road wheels
- Removing and replacing exhausts
- Changing tyres on the tyre changer
- Balancing wheels
- Removing and replacing drum and disc brakes
- Removing and replacing springs and shock absorbers
- Dismantling and reassembling engines
Pupils will be assessed on their practical abilities and through unit work booklets. Tasks must be completed independently, safely and to an acceptable standard and, pupils may attempt the tasks as many times as is needed. Quality assurance is performed by both internal and external quality assurers, supported by the awarding body external quality assurance visits each year. A photographic record is kept of pupils at work performing a variety of tasks.
This course is suitable for any pupil with an interest in cars and who may be considering a career as a mechanic, either by the apprenticeship route or by progressing on to the motor vehicle pathway in 6th form.